Join my family on our insane adventure to try something new every day for the next year!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Heavy Lifting, Power Tools and a Sandcastle

The shed, pre-move
 Today I was really excited to get started on our very first vegetable garden! We agreed to do a raised garden and just needed to find the perfect, sunny spot. We have a lot of trees that cast shade and a swing set that takes up some major, sunny real estate. Fran and I stood at various locations in the yard and just stared, arms crossed, wondering where to get started. Our neighbors probably thought we were contemplating something very important, but really we were just confused garden newbies and couldn't make a decision. The sandbox, also sitting on prime real estate, would have to be moved to shedsville, which meant, the shed had to be moved as well. The sandbox plot will then be replaced with the garden. (I hope you're keeping track. There's a quiz at the end). Unfortunately, this took longer than we thought, so the garden will have to be put in next weekend. Fortunately, moving the shed required the use of power tools. It just so happens that 1. I've never moved a shed and 2. I've never used a power tool! Fran probably trusted that it would be hard for me to kill him using a cordless screwdriver. To be fair, I have a lengthy track record of injuring myself, including a fractured wrist after running into a wall and a shattered toe from tripping on a baby gate. Baby steps with the power tools. Let's not get all crazy and move immediately to a chainsaw. We want to keep all of our appendages. The kids helped move a couple of things, but once we started moving axes and sledgehammers, I thought it best that they mosey on over to the sandbox. Again, the saving appendages thing, blah, blah, blah. Anyhow, we moved the shed to it's new resting spot and I screwed some wood planks through the bottom using my cordless screwdriver expertise. Meanwhile, Lilia used her new sand pail to make this year's first sandcastle. All in a day's work.



No comments:

Post a Comment