Join my family on our insane adventure to try something new every day for the next year!

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Woldhuis Farms Sunrise Greenhouse



In keeping with what seems to be a plant themed week, I took another mini road trip to see the Woldhuis Farms 
Sunrise Greenhouse in Grant Park, IL. To say this greenhouse is huge would be an understatement. It is in fact, 7 acres of trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, herbs, garden ornaments and pretty much anything garden related you can imagine. Sunrise even provides their customers with a map to help you find your way. Each aisle genuinely has its own "street" name such as Elm, Oak and Pear. At first, we got a little turned around (Yes, even with a map. Don't judge me.) However, the staff was extremely friendly and happy to point, or even walk, us in the right direction. Just when I thought the amount of beautiful plants was shocking, I saw the herb section. They have all of your typical herbs, but many which I had never even heard of. Root beer plant, basil amethyst and pineapple mint to name a few. One of the employees even demonstrated how to use some of the herbs as a natural mosquito repellent. Unfortunately, we were a little pressed for time so we didn't get to see every bit of the greenhouse. I did end up leaving with three pots of beautiful red dahlias as well as a turtle and a dragonfly ornament. Rest assured, I will definitely be back with more time and a lot of cargo space.





No comments:

Post a Comment