Join my family on our insane adventure to try something new every day for the next year!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Glitter Night Lights



We leave a light on for both of the kids at night, but last night Franky insisted he was still afraid of the dark. I was scrounging around  trying to find something else that lights up to to avail. I thought about an idea that I saw on Pinterest called "fairies in a jar" that involved glow stick liquid and glitter. Sounded fun, but I really wanted something that would last longer than one night. So, we took a trip to Michael's this morning to pick up Mason jars (after my last experience, I am now obsessed with them) glitter, Elmer's clear school glue and flameless candles. When we got home, I squeezed glue into the jars and tried to cover as much ground as I could. The kids poured a good amount of glitter into the jars, closed the lids and shook them up. It took a couple of rounds of glue and glitter shakes, but I think they turned out to be really cool. We poured out the excess glitter and let them dry for a couple of hours with the lids off. By the time nightfall rolled around we were able to put in the flameless candles and close the lid for the final effect. As you can see in the final picture, they cast a nice, warm glow. I wasn't sure if the glitter would be too opaque for the light to shine through, but that clearly wasn't the case. Needless to say, the kids are proud of their work and are actually excited to go to bed. Winning for all.





No comments:

Post a Comment