Join my family on our insane adventure to try something new every day for the next year!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Potted Herbs



Every time I buy herbs at the grocery store I always tell myself I should really have my own at home. Grocery store herbs can be expensive and no matter what, they always go bad before I've finished using them. We only have a couple of windows that get full, direct sunlight. One is over our kitchen sink and one is blocked by a desk that always manages to get filled with papers, kids toys and art supplies. Now, I am not an organized person and I am not a crafty person. I'm always amazed by the talented people who are either one or both of these things. In fact, I've been to the craft store more this past month than I have in five years. Turns out, even if I "mess up" my crafts it doesn't matter. They're just for us anyway! Today, I not only cleared off our cluttered, window stealing desk, but I also bought herbs and made labeled pots. I admit, I kind of took the easy way out and bought grown herbs and didn't plant them from seed. I'll be doing that outdoors with vegetables and honestly, I really just wanted the instant gratification. I had seen lots of cute ideas for herb pots, but my mom sent me a picture of pots with chalkboard paint that caught my eye last week. So, today Franky and I picked out our herbs, buckets and chalkboard paint at the hardware store. I used painter's tape to section off the part where I wanted a chalkboard and got to painting. I let the paint dry for two hours, removed the tape and Lilia chalked on the labels. It was really easy to do (again, coming from a non-crafty person) and it really brightens up the room. Plus, no more wasting store bought herbs! Now if I can just find a place for all of the papers and toys I took off that desk...

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Nice touch that your kids helped

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Franky asked me why we were painting a mustache on the bucket. :-)

    ReplyDelete