Join my family on our insane adventure to try something new every day for the next year!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Moving and Metamorphosis

All of our caterpillars had made their chrysalises and last night the last (slacker) finally made his. This meant that today was moving day! Our caterpillars were in a little cup so they had to be moved to the butterfly sanctuary AKA mesh basket. They all formed their chrysalises attached to a piece of tissue paper that was on top of the cup. Today we removed the paper, safety pinned it to the side of the sanctuary and voila, a butterfly oasis! Franky and I put a cotton ball soaked in sugar water at the bottom of the sanctuary so the first butterflies will have a food source. After they emerge, I'll also put some sliced oranges in the bottom so they'll have something to drink. Now, the amazing part. The caterpillar doesn't just "sleep" and grow some wings and antennae. The caterpillar digests itself, turns into ooze (ooze, I tell you!) and then forms into a new insect, the butterfly. You can read about it in more detail here, at Scientific American. You will never look at a butterfly in the same way again! Really! Okay, it's quite possible that you might not get as excited as me. After all, I've been caught several times staring at the caterpillars and now, I'm in chrysalis inspection mode. Also, Fran may or may not have thought I was an intruder, with a flashlight, at midnight, staring at my little friends. Don't bother asking him. He won't remember. Moving on, we will be anxiously awaiting the arrival of our Painted Lady butterflies and I'll be sure to update!

No comments:

Post a Comment