Join my family on our insane adventure to try something new every day for the next year!

Monday, April 22, 2013

Community Supported Agriculture

On tonight's menu (store bought)
Happy Earth Day! So, lately I've been thinking more about where our food comes from which has led me to do some research on Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). Primarily what CSA refers to is buying food that is seasonal from local farmers. This is essentially like buying food from a farmer's market, but in this case it is either shipped to your house or you pick up your package at a local drop off area. We are starting our first garden this year, however I'm not quite sure how many vegetables we'll end up with. I decided to take the plunge and today I signed up for Irv and Shelly's Fresh Picks and ordered one Fresh Picks Box in the double size. Irv and Shelly's (as well as many CSA's) also offer local dairy and meat as well as not so local fruits and veggies if you want to supplement. The option I liked about Fresh Picks is that you can order weekly and end your order at any time. So, if I suddenly gain a green thumb and grow lots of home grown veggies in our garden this year, I can stop or postpone my weekly order. I placed my order today and I can expect our first box to arrive on Friday. I just bought lots of veggies from the grocery store so we are on a mission to eat them before our box arrives later this week!

In other news,  we have a caterpillar update! For those who have been following, almost all of the caterpillars have formed their chrysalises. This week we'll be moving them to our butterfly sanctuary so they'll have room to break out and spread their wings. Excitement all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment